BUILDING PROCEDURES OUTLINE - This outline will give you step by step instructions to applying for a building permit. 

BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION - This is the building permit application. This form is required, and must be approved, prior to making improvements. 





Q:        How do I know when I need a building permit?


A:        City building permits are required whenever a person builds a new structure of any kind, or enlarges, relocates, or remodels an existing structure.  For purposes of this requirement, a “remodel” of an existing structure would include any renovation that includes any foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, or gas work.  Remodeling that does not impact these components, i.e., new cabinets, flooring, etc., does not require a building permit.


Q:        Do I need a building permit if I am installing new appliances?


A:        A building permit is not required for the installation of new appliances, so long as the installation process does not make substantive changes to the existing framing, electrical, plumbing, or gas work.


Q:        How do I get a building permit?


A:        Obtain an Application for Building Permit from City Hall.  Fill it out and attach a diagram, including measurements of the structure and measurements from the structure to property lines.  The application must include a survey of the Property from a registered land surveyor reflecting easements and neighboring property lines in relation to the project.  The Application will be considered by the City Administrator and the City Inspector.  The Application will then be considered by the Planning Commission for final approval or denial.  If approved by the Planning Commission, a building permit will be issued by the City/Zoning Administrator during regular business hours at City Hall.  You will be asked to pay a deposit on future inspections necessary to complete the project.


Q:        Do I need a building permit if I am doing the work myself?


A:        Yes, work performed without the assistance of a contractor still requires a building permit.


Q:        Does a building permit expire?


A:        Yes, the permit expires six (6) months from date if work has not started: or two (2) years if the project has not been completed.


Q:        Why does the City require building permits?


A:        Building permits allow for proper inspections of work being completed within the City, which ensures compliance with codes and regulations.  In addition, these inspections help prevent building owners from inadvertently violating City zoning regulations that could force demolition of the new work.


Q:        How do I obtain the required building inspections?


A:        The City’s building inspector works on appointment only, and all inspections must be scheduled in advance through the City Administrator.  No inspections will occur unless all inspection fees have been paid in advance.


Q:        What if I need to cancel an inspection?


A:        Because the City pays its inspector per inspection, all inspections canceled less than seven days in advance will incur the inspection fee.  To reschedule the inspection, the property owner will be required to prepay the inspection fee again.


Q:        Why do I need multiple inspections for a single project?


A:        There are multiple components of a building inspection, including the foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, and gas components.  As the project moves forward, some of the components that require inspection are covered and can no longer be inspected without demolition.  Therefore, incremental inspections must be scheduled and completed before work on the project continues.


Q:        If the City inspects my project and the work is later discovered to be faulty, is the City liable?


A:        No, the City is not liable for damages associated with any building project.  The City’s inspection seeks to ensure code and zoning regulation compliance, and is in no way an inspection of the project workmanship.  Property owners and contractors are solely responsible for the work they perform, and are responsible for ensuring code and zoning regulation compliance of any project.


Q:        What are the required setbacks?


A:        25 feet from the front property line, 10 feet from each side property line, and 20 feet from the rear property line.


Q:        Do I need a permit for fencing?


A:        Yes - There are specifications on fencing and its location. You will need a building application and a diagram of the placement of the fence along with a survey of the property. 


Q:        Do I need a permit for a new roof? 


A:        You do not need a building permit for a new roof. The contractor will need to complete a "Roofer's Permit" prior to starting the project. 


Q:        What if my project is denied?


A:        The Zoning Commission has a Zoning Appeals Board that you can meet with to discuss your concerns.

Please see "PERMITS" if  a permit is needed.



Building Codes

2015 Building

2011 Electrical

2009 Plumbing


Recreational Vehicles: Frequently asked questions


Where can I park my recreational vehicle?

Recreational Vehicles (RVs) may be parked within the city limits in residential areas, in recreational vehicle parks, or in campgrounds. (19-204.2a)


Can I park my recreational vehicle in my front yard?

No. Recreational vehicles may not be parked in the front yard of a residence. (19-204.2a)


Can I park my recreational vehicle in my side yard or back yard?

Yes. Recreational vehicles may be parked in the side yard or back yard of a residence, but only if the following criteria are met:

  • There is more than ten (10) feet between the recreational vehicle and the side or rear lot line; and
  • The recreational vehicle is stored within an enclosed structure.



Can I live in my recreational vehicle within city limits?

No. Exception: If the recreational vehicle is parked within a recreational vehicle park, you may live in your recreational vehicle. (19-204.2b)


I’m building a house and have my recreational vehicle on the lot. May I temporarily live in my recreational vehicle?

No, you may not temporarily live in a recreational vehicle on the same lot as the construction of a dwelling. (19-301.4)


What are the requirements for a recreational vehicle park?

  1. Recreational park is not less than 2 acres of land;
  2. Must have a minimum of 35-feet x 40-feet parking space and the corners of the space are marked with a permanent marker;
  3. Interior access drives are at least 20-foot wide;
  4. Required community facilities are: service building, play space, utility rooms, parking, and access roads;
  5. Every additional 100 spaces require a minimum of one (1) service building;
  6. Surrounded by an open space 50 feet wide along the street frontage with an arterial highway or main thoroughfare, and 25 feet wide along all other lot lines or street frontages. Screening at least six (6) feet in height shall be provided between the recreational vehicle park or campground and any adjoining residential area;
  7. Minimum 25 feet between a recreational vehicle and trailers or service buildings;
  8. Minimum 5 feet between a recreational vehicle and the boundary of the parking space;
  9. Off street parking for motor vehicles;
  10. Proper provision shall be made for public water supply, sanitary sewage disposal, fire protection, refuse collection, laundry, toilet, and bathing facilities; and
  11. Sewage dump station.



Roofing Information: