McLouth was founded in the 1880s. It was named for Amos McLouth, the original owner of the town site. The first post office in McLouth was established in May 1882.
We had a railroad that ran right through the middle of town. The tracks are the dividing point for the north side and south side of town. Look for the Historical sign showing where the split is at.